Three Easy Ways to Make Your Customers Love You
Get to the Point
- Remember Pets’ Names (or Other Fun Facts)
- Set Clear Expectations
- Follow Up With Happy Checks
When it comes to your customers, all you need is love. OK, it’s not all you need, but the way your customers feel about you is very important. Quite frankly, you should want your customers to love you. Why? Because if they do, it means you’ve provided them with a world-class experience. It also means they are more likely to refer you to a friend, and call you for future work.
Here are three easy ways to earn their love.
Remember Names: Everybody loves their pet. It isn’t hard to make a quick note of the dog, cat, gerbil or parrot’s name. Some customers don’t have pets (bless their hearts) but you can still have casual conversations about something they’re passionate about. Making a quick note of things they care about proves you care about them!
Set Clear Expectations: Respect is a huge piece of forming healthy relationships with your customers. At every step, the customer is worried about their home feeling comfortable, as well as the cost. Here are five things that will keep your customers on the same page as you.
- Provide a small window of arrival, and tell the customer exactly who is coming.
- While managing pricing expectations over the phone is difficult, consider saying something like, “The last 10 similar jobs averaged about $XYZ, but we won’t be able to give a true estimate until we have someone on site.”
- Tell how long the homeowner should expect the job to take, so he or she can better plan their day.
- Whenever an expectation changes, a little update goes a long way. If it’s a multi-day project, let the homeowner know what you’ve done before you leave each day.
- Managing expectations after you leave is important, too, so offer a helpful tip like, “A loud noise when it starts up is fine, but if there is a clanging sound make sure to call us.”
Follow Up With Happy Checks: At least 24 hours after you complete a service at a customer’s home, give them a call to make sure they were satisfied with the service. This is a great way to find out how the homeowner is feeling — and how likely they are to use you again.
These three steps can change a transaction of service into a memorably positive experience. When your customer feels safe, comfortable and informed, they will want to continue working with you for any future jobs.
Looking for more help? Pointman PACT can help. Pointman’s mission is to make people love their contractors by helping its members create truly world-class experiences for their clients. PACT makes that mission a reality — and we can show you how.